To toss, or not to toss
For many modern brides, this is the question. No wedding tradition needs to be adhered to steadfastly, and you should never feel pressured to include anything you aren’t excited about in your wedding day. If a certain tradition has significance for you, or you just like it because it’s FUN, then include it in your celebration!
The bouquet toss is one of the traditional elements that is familiar to most of us.
Many contemporary brides love this tradition, and it’s almost always a high-energy focal-point when it is included. It’s becoming quite common though, for brides to either choose an alternative to the traditional bouquet toss, or to opt out of it altogether.
First, some history
Why do we do it, and where did it come from? The tossing of the bridal bouquet is a custom with roots in England. It was believed to be a way for the bride to pass along her good fortune to others. Bridal guests would try to tear away pieces of the bride’s clothing and flowers in order to obtain this fortune. In an attempt to get away from this tearing of her gown, the bride would toss her bouquet into the crowd. As tradition has it, the single lady who catches the bouquet has received the bride’s fortune and will be next in line to marry.
What else can we do?
Many things can be done instead of the traditional tossing of the bouquet. Here are just a few fun ideas:
- Presentation. Present the bouquet to someone special. Work with your MC to include a short message letting folks know who you’re presenting your bouquet to, and why.
- Your mom, mother-in-law, grandmother
- Recently engaged friend
- Someone celebrating a recent or near birthday, anniversary, etc.
- Longest married couple
- Your sister(s). Use multiple bouquets as-needed
- Anyone, for any reason you like!
- Alternatives. Instead of tossing a bouquet, you can toss other fun items instead.
- Teddy Toss. If there are a good number of young children present, you can do a “Teddy Toss” instead. Have the children gather together in the usual formation, and toss a small-to-medium sized stuffed animal. This is a huge crowd favorite, and is a great way to include children in the celebration. Can be done in addition to the traditional bouquet toss as well!
- Glow Sticks. Toss a home-made “bouquet” of glow sticks to be passed out by whoever catches it. Great way to get the party started on the dancefloor once the lights go down!
|1||Beyonce||Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It)|
|2||Lauper, Cyndi||Girls Just Want To Have Fun|
|3||Guetta, David Feat. Flo Rida & Nicki Minaj||Where Them Girls At|
|4||Weather Girls||It’s Raining Men|
|5||Benatar, Pat||Hit Me With Your Best Shot|
|6||Twain, Shania||Man! I Feel Like A Woman!|
|7||Little Big Town||Little White Church|
|8||Ludacris Feat. Mystikal||Move B***H|
|10||Beyonce||Run The World (Girls)|
|12||Buble, Michael||Haven’t Met You Yet|
|13||Kool & The Gang||Ladies Night|
|14||No Doubt||Just A Girl|
|15||Blondie||One Way Or Another|
|17||Jepsen, Carly Rae||Call Me Maybe|
|19||Aguilera, Lil’ Kim, Mya & Pink, Christina||Lady Marmalade|
|20||Jackson, Michael||P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)|
|21||Queen||Another One Bites The Dust|
|22||Orbison, Roy||Oh, Pretty Woman|
|23||Rihanna||Only Girl (In The World)|
|24||Bryan, Luke||Country Girl (Shake It For Me)|
|25||Mcbride, Martina||This One’s For The Girls|
|26||Survivor||Eye Of The Tiger|
|27||Beastie Boys||Hey Ladies|
|28||Stefani, Gwen||Hollaback Girl|
|29||Destiny’s Child||Independent Women Part 1|
|30||West, Kanye Feat. Jamie Foxx||Gold Digger|
|32||Hilson, Keri||Pretty Girl Rock|
|33||Valentine, Brooke Feat. Big Boi & Lil’ Jon||Girlfight|
|34||Jones, Tom||She’s A Lady|
|35||Motley Crue||Girls, Girls, Girls|
|36||Springfield, Dusty||Wishin’ And Hopin’|
|37||Hendrix, Jimi||Foxey Lady|
|38||Mars, Bruno||Marry You|
|39||Ross, Diana & The Supremes||You Can’t Hurry Love|
|40||Benatar, Pat||Love Is A Battlefield|
|41||Keys, Alicia||Girl On Fire|
|42||Perry, Katy||California Gurls|
|43||702||Where My Girls At?|
|45||Beyonce||Love On Top|
|46||Fergie Feat. Ludacris||Glamorous|
|47||Gomez, Selena||Come & Get It|
|48||Def Leppard||Pour Some Sugar On Me|
|49||Dixie Cups||Chapel Of Love|
|50||Kravitz, Lenny||American Woman|